매 주, 영어와 한어로 하나님의 말씀이 선포됩니다. 말씀을 통한 하나님의 회복의 은혜를 풍성하게 누리시게 되시길 소망합니다~
Every week, the preaching is being preached in Korean as well as English. Hoping that you would richly experience the restoring grace of God through the message~
아버지의 잔, The Cup of the Father
설교자: 오수강 목사, Pastor Richard Oh
본문: 마가복음 14:32-26, Mark 14:32-36
날짜: 2024-03-29

아버지의 잔 

마가복음 14:32-26

32 그들이 겟세마네라 하는 곳에 이르매 예수께서 제자들에게 이르시되 내가 기도할 동안에 너희는 여기 앉아 있으라 하시고 33 베드로와 야고보와 요한을 데리고 가실새 심히 놀라시며 슬퍼하사 34 말씀하시되 내 마음이 심히 고민하여 죽게 되었으니 너희는 여기 머물러 깨어 있으라 하시고 35 조금 나아가사 땅에 엎드리어 될 수 있는 대로 이 때가 자기에게서 지나가기를 구하여 36 이르시되 아빠 아버지여 아버지께는 모든 것이 가능하오니 이 잔을 내게서 옮기시옵소서 그러나 나의 원대로 마시옵고 아버지의 원대로 하옵소서 하시고

오늘 성금요일 예배에서는 우리 주님께서 배반당하시고 체포되셔서 사람들의 손에 정죄를 받으시고 우리의 구원의 십자가에 달리시기 직전에 겟세마네에서 드린 기도를 함께 묵상하길 원합니다. 

오늘 본문에서 우리는 주님께서 기도하시며 그분의 십자가를 바라보시고 엄청난 근심과 고민을 느끼기 시작하셨다는 것을 읽습니다.

“...그들이 겟세마네라 하는 곳에 이르매 예수께서 제자들에게 이르시되 내가 기도할 동안에 너희는 여기 앉아 있으라 하시고 베드로와 야고보와 요한을 데리고 가실새 심히 놀라시며 슬퍼하사 말씀하시되 내 마음이 심히 고민하여 죽게 되었으니 너희는 여기 머물러 깨어 있으라 하시고…” (막14:32-34)

우리 주님은 너무나 슬프신 나머지 “죽기까지” 그의 영혼에 슬픔을 느끼셨습니다. 그건 어떠한 기분이었을까요? 우리 주님께서는 우리가 이해할 수 없는 엄청난 슬픔을 느끼셨습니다. 그래서 우리 주님은 깊은 고민과 번민과 슬픔 속에서 땅에 엎드려 기도하셨습니다. 뭐라고 기도하셨습니까?

“...조금 나아가사 땅에 엎드리어 될 수 있는 대로 이 때가 자기에게서 지나가기를 구하여

이르시되 아빠 아버지여 아버지께는 모든 것이 가능하오니 이 잔을 내게서 옮기시옵소서 그러나 나의 원대로 마시옵고 아버지의 원대로 하옵소서 하시고…” (막14:35-36)

그리스도 예수께서는 할 수만 있다면 주님 자신 앞에 놓여진 잔을  옮겨달라고 아버지께 기도하셨습니다. 주님은 십자가로 가는 것이 너무나 끔찍하고 두려우셨기 때문에 그분은 자기 백성의 죄를 해결할 수 있는 다른 방법이 있다면 십자가의 고통을 면하게 해 달라고 아버지께 기도하셨습니다. 물론 십자가의 육체적 고통은 끔찍했습니다. 십자가형은 질식으로 인한 느리고 고통스러운 죽음이었습니다. 그러나 우리 주님을 그토록 끔찍하게 만든 것은 단지 십자가의 육체적인 고통만이 아니었습니다. 그리스도께서는 자신에게 임박한 고난과 죽음을 ‘잔’으로 언급하셨습니다. 성경에는 하나님의 진노를 겪는 것이 곧 그분의 잔을 마시는 것으로 표현되어 있습니다. 예를 들어, 이사야서 51장 17절에서는 다음과 같은 말씀을 읽게 됩니다.

“...여호와의 손에서 그의 분노의 잔을 마신 예루살렘이여 깰지어다 깰지어다 일어설지어다 네가 이미 비틀걸음 치게 하는 큰 잔을 마셔 다 비웠도다…” (사51:17)

요한계시록 16장 19절의 말씀도 읽어봅시다. 

“...큰 성이 세 갈래로 갈라지고 만국의 성들도 무너지니 큰 성 바벨론이 하나님 앞에 기억하신 바 되어 그의 맹렬한 진노의 포도주 잔을 받으매…” (계16:19)

우리 주님이 두려워하신 것은 단지 십자가에 못 박힘으로 겪으실 육체적 고통만이 아니었습니다. 오히려 예수님께서는 십자가 위에서 그 어떤 육체적 고통이나 수치심보다 헤아릴 수 없을 만큼 더 큰 극심한 고통을 겪으실 것이라는 사실이었습니다. 십자가 위에서 그리스도께서는 자기 백성의 죄를 향한 하나님의 진노의 잔을 마셔야 하셨기 때문입니다. 복음에 따르면, 우리 주님은 우리 죄를 위한 화목 제물로 십자가에 달리셨습니다(히2:17; 요일 2:2; 요일 4:10). 화목 제물이란 무엇입니까? 화목 제물은(힐라스모스) 한 학술자료에 따르면 “하나님의 진노를 짊어짐으로 하나님의 은혜로 바뀌도록 만드는 제사”입니다. (Robert W. Yarbrough, ESV Study Bible) 하나님께서 죄인들을 긍휼히 여기시기 위해서는 그들의 죄에 대한 진노가 충족되어야 했습니다. 그리스도 예수께서는 자기 백성의 죄를 향한 하나님의 진노를 만족시켜 하나님의 진노를 은혜로 바꾸신 화목제물이십니다. 우리 주님께서 그토록 두려워하셨던 것은 우리 죄를 위한 하나님의 진노의 잔이 비워질 때까지 십자가에서 그 진노를 마지막 한 방울까지 다 받으셔야 한다는 사실 때문이었습니다. 

“...하나님의 사랑이 우리에게 이렇게 나타난 바 되었으니 하나님이 자기의 독생자를 세상에 보내심은 그로 말미암아 우리를 살리려 하심이라 사랑은 여기 있으니 우리가 하나님을 사랑한 것이 아니요 하나님이 우리를 사랑하사 우리 죄를 속하기 위하여 화목 제물로 그 아들을 보내셨음이라…” (요일4:9-10)

그리스도 예수께서 우리를 위하여 화목 제물이 되시는 것 외에 우리 죄를 처리할 수 있는 다른 방법이 있었습니까? 예수님은 큰 고통 가운데서 할 수만 있다면 이 두려운 잔을 당신에게서 옮겨달라고 아버지께 부르짖었습니다. 하지만 다른 길은 없었습니다. 그래서 우리 주님은 기꺼이 그 진노의 잔을 받으셨습니다. 우리는 예수님께서 하늘에 계신 아버지를 “아빠”라고 부르시는 것을 보게 됩니다. “...이르시되 아빠 아버지여 아버지께는 모든 것이 가능하오니 이 잔을 내게서 옮기시옵소서 그러나 나의 원대로 마시옵고 아버지의 원대로 하옵소서 하시고…” (막 14:36) 우리가 이미 알고 있듯이 아바(Abba)는 아빠라는 단어와 마찬가지로 자녀와 아버지 사이의 사랑을 나타내는 용어입니다. 영원 전부터 아들은 아버지를 ‘아빠’로 아셨습니다. 그분은 아버지의 마음으로부터 나오는 무한한 인정과 애정과 기쁨을 알고 계셨습니다. 그리고 이제 십자가에서 예수님은 사악한 인류와 종교 지도자들, 로마 정부의 진노가 아니라 ‘아빠 아버지’의 진노를 담당하신 것입니다. 우리 주님은 자기 백성의 불순종, 불경건, 타락, 가증함으로 인해 쌓인 아버지의 거룩한 진노의 잔을 십자가에 달려 돌아가심으로 마시셨습니다. 십자가 위에서 우리 주님은 아버지의 진노로 인해 아버지로부터의 단절을 경험하셨고, 이로 인해 그분은 이렇게 외치셨습니다.

“...제구시쯤에 예수께서 크게 소리 질러 이르시되 엘리 엘리 라마 사박다니 하시니 이는 곧 나의 하나님, 나의 하나님, 어찌하여 나를 버리셨나이까 하는 뜻이라…” (마27:46)

주님은 제 삼시부터 제 구시(오전 9시부터 오후 3시)까지 아버지의 진노를 참으시고 그 백성의 죄로 인한 형벌을 받으셨습니다. 그리고 제 구시에 백성의 죄의 값이 다 지불되고 잔이 비워지자 우리 주님은 “다 이루었다”고 말씀하시고 머리를 숙이셨고 그 영혼이 떠나셨습니다 (요 19:30) 그리스도 예수께서는 “다 이루었다”고 말씀하셨습니다. 그분께서 보내심을 받은 목적과 임무를 완수하셨습니다. 그리고 우리는 그것이 사실이라는 것을 압니다. 아버지께서 삼일 후에 그분의 아들을 죽은 자 가운데서 살리셨기 때문입니다. 이는 죄의 대가가 지불되었음을 보여주는 명백한 선언입니다.

우리 주님께서 아버지의 뜻에 순종하셔서 우리 죄를 위하여 아빠 아버지의 진노의 잔을 마시심으로 주님을 부활하신 구주와 주로 믿는 자마다 아버지의 자녀가 되는 권세를 얻게 하셨습니다. 전에는 하나님과 멀리 떨어져 하나님 없이 살던 우리들이, 주님께서 그 슬픔의 동산에서 ‘아빠 아버지’라고 하나님을 부르셨던 것처럼, 이제는 그분께 가까이 다가가서 그분을 ‘아빠 아버지’라고 부를 수 있습니다. 이제는 하나님께서 우리를 진노의 대상으로 보시지 않고 그분의 자녀의 아버지로서 호의를 가지고 바라보신다는 것을 알기 때문입니다. 부활하신 주님께서는 부활하신 날 막달라 마리아에게 이렇게 말씀하셨습니다.

“...예수께서 이르시되 나를 붙들지 말라 내가 아직 아버지께로 올라가지 아니하였노라 너는 내 형제들에게 가서 이르되 내가 내 아버지 곧 너희 아버지, 내 하나님 곧 너희 하나님께로 올라간다 하라 하시니…” (요20:17)

The Cup of the Father

Mark 14:32-36

32 And they went to a place called Gethsemane. And he said to his disciples, “Sit here while I pray.” 33 And he took with him Peter and James and John, and began to be greatly distressed and troubled. 34 And he said to them, “My soul is very sorrowful, even to death. Remain here and watch.” 35 And going a little farther, he fell on the ground and prayed that, if it were possible, the hour might pass from him. 36 And he said, “Abba, Father, all things are possible for you. Remove this cup from me. Yet not what I will, but what you will.” 

This Good Friday service, I would like to consider the prayer of our Lord at Gethsemane, immediately prior to His betrayal and arrest, condemnation at the hands of men, and His crucifixion on the cross of our salvation. 

We read in today's text that as our Lord went out to pray, He began to feel immense distress and trouble over the prospect of His cross. 

32 And they went to a place called Gethsemane. And he said to his disciples, “Sit here while I pray.” 33 And he took with him Peter and James and John, and began to be greatly distressed and troubled. 34 And he said to them, “My soul is very sorrowful, even to death. Remain here and watch.” (Mark 14:32-34) 

So grieved was our Lord that He felt a sorrow in His soul, “even to death”. How does that feel? I have no idea. Our Lord felt incredible sorrow beyond what we can comprehend. And so in His deep distress, trouble, and sorrow, our Lord fell on the ground and prayed. What did He pray? 

35 And going a little farther, he fell on the ground and prayed that, if it were possible, the hour might pass from him. 36 And he said, “Abba, Father, all things are possible for you. Remove this cup from me. Yet not what I will, but what you will.”

Christ Jesus prayed to His Father, that if it were possible, the cup set before Him would be removed from Him. At that moment, in that garden, the thought of going to the cross was so dreadful to the Lord that He prayed to the Father that if there was any other way the sins of His people could be dealt with, He would be spared the suffering of the cross. Of course, the physical suffering of the cross was terrible. Crucifixion was a slow, agonizing death by suffocation. But it was not the physical suffering of the cross which made it so terrible to our Lord. Christ refers to His impending suffering and death as the cup. Throughout scripture, suffering God's wrath is represented as drinking from His cup. For instance, we read in Isaiah 51:12: 

“Wake yourself, wake yourself, stand up, O Jerusalem, you who have drunk from the hand of the Lord the cup of his wrath,” (Isaiah 51:12) 

Or again in Revelation 16:19: 

“The great city was split into three parts, and the cities of the nations fell, and God remembered Babylon the great, to make her drain the cup of the wine of the fury of his wrath.” (Revelation 16:19) 

What our Lord dreaded was not merely the physical suffering of crucifixion. Rather, it was the fact that on the cross, Jesus would suffer something immeasurably worse than any physical pain or sense of shame. On the cross, Christ would drink the cup of God's wrath towards the sins of His people. According to the gospel, our Lord went to the cross as a propitiation for our sins (Hebrews 2:17; 1 John 2:2; 1 John 4:10). What is a propitiation? A propitiation (hilasmos) is, as one scholarly source puts it, “a sacrifice that bears God’s wrath and turns it to favor,” (Robert W. Yarbrough, ESV Study Bible) In order for God to be made propitious towards sinners, His wrath against their sins needed to be satisfied. Christ Jesus is the sacrifice of propitiation who satisfies God's wrath against the sins of His people and by so doing, turns God's wrath into favor. What was so dreadful about the cross of our Lord was the prospect of drinking the cup of God's wrath for our sins until it was emptied of its last drop. 

9 In this the love of God was made manifest among us, that God sent his only Son into the world, so that we might live through him. 10 In this is love, not that we have loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins. (1 John 4:9-10) 

Was there any other way that Christ Jesus could deal with our sins except by becoming a sacrifice of propitiation for us? In His great distress, Jesus cried out to His Father that if it were possible, this dreaded cup would be removed from Him. But there was no other way. So, our Lord was willing to drain that cup until it was finished. You'll notice that Jesus calls the heavenly Father, “Abba”. “And he said, “Abba, Father, all things are possible for you. Remove this cup from me. Yet not what I will, but what you will.” (Mark 14:36) Abba, as we probably know, is a term of endearment between child and father, much like the word, papa. From all eternity, the Son knew the Father as, Abba. He had only known infinite approval, affection, and pleasure from the heart of His Father. And now, on the cross, Jesus would bear not the wrath of wicked humanity, not the wrath of the religious authorities, not the wrath of the Roman government, but the wrath of His very own, Abba. Every ounce of His Father's holy wrath stored up for the disobedience, ungodliness, depravity and abomination of His people, our Lord would drink as He hung dying on the cross. On the cross, our Lord experienced the desolation of His Father's wrath that prompted Him to cry out: 

“My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” (Matthew 27:46) 

Hour after hour He bore the outpouring of His Father's wrath, from the third hour to the ninth hour (9 am – 3 pm), paying the penalty for the sins of His people until it was finished. And at the ninth hour, the price had been paid in full, the cup was emptied, and our Lord said, “It is finished,” and he bowed his head and gave up his spirit. (John 19:30) Christ Jesus said, “ It is finished,”. The task for which He was sent was complete. And we know it to be so because on the third day, the Father raised His Son from the dead, an undeniable declaration to us that the price had been paid. 

Our Lord obeyed the Father's will and drank the cup of His Abba's wrath for our sins, so that all who trust in Him as risen Savior and Lord, may receive the right to become children of His Father so that we too, who were once far off and without Him, may draw near to Him and call Him, as our Lord did in that garden of sorrow, “Abba”, knowing that He looks upon us not with wrath but with favor as a Father towards His child. As the risen Lord said to Mary Magdalene on the day of His resurrection: 

“Do not cling to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father; but go to my brothers and say to them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’” (Revelation 20:17)